- genuine fossilized dinosaur bone in deep red with black matrix
- hand fabricated sterling silver setting with open circles on the back
- sterling silver rolo chain measuring 18" plus a 2" extender, leave a note at checkout if you'd like a different length
- pendant measures 1.25" x .75"
- one of a kind and ready to ship!
For more genuine fossil jewelry, visit the Archean Collection.
See the Info Page for more on policies and shipping.
Agatized dinosaur bones (aka gembones) are a rare type of fossil. To become agatized, first the original bone must be covered quickly in a material like ocean sediment or volcanic ash to prevent scavenging and keep oxygen out. In most cases, the bone is then permineralized - mineral rich ground water slowly seeps in and deposits some of those minerals in open cavities and tiny spaces in the cells. This is where the journey for most fossils ends. But when conditions are right, a second re-mineralization occurs and types of silica (jasper, agate, chalcedony, and my favorite kind of fossil - opal!) replace the first minerals, resulting in beautiful, colorful gembone!