- genuine Orthoceras Fossil with black and grey tones, clearly defined gas chambers and siphuncle!
- hand fabricated sterling silver setting in a matte, lightly oxidized finish
- hinge and latch cuff - open by gently squeezing the cuff to unhook
- the stone measures about 1 5/8" by 1"
- cuff measures about 7" around the inside when closed
- one of a kind and ready to ship!
Orthoceras are an extinct marine predator that lived over 400 million years ago and could grow up to 14 feet long! It was a squid-like animal that lived in the end of a long, straight, cone shaped shell. As it grew larger, a new chamber on the shell would be made to live in and the smaller, interior chambers would be used to control buoyancy via the siphuncle that ran through the center. In this piece, you are seeing a side view of the shell, so those lines are the walls that separated each chamber.
For more genuine fossil jewelry, visit the Archean Collection.
See the Info Page for more on policies and shipping.